Today, PrecisionPoint’s 3D Scan-to-BIM solutions capture vital as-built facility and systems data that can be imported into software applications that automatically translate 3D point clouds into BIM software object families. By making the up-front investment in reality capture before a renovation project, our clients get the advantage of designing around actual building conditions instead of old drawings that no longer represent the real world facility. PrecisionPoint clients find that the overall cost of PPI’s scanning and BIM services is usually far less than the cost associated with a single, major field change resulting from poor and inaccurate as-built data.
PrecisionPoint is also brought in to scan projects during construction at pre-determined intervals to capture as-built information before it gets hidden behind walls and ceiling tiles. The resulting BIM provides clients with ancillary benefits for years to come, especially when the data is integrated into computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS) and other facility management software applications.
With PrecisionPoint 3D Scan-to-BIM Services, AECO Professionals Can More Effectively:
- Modify: Swap out items in the scanned virtual environment to determine how assets will fit before construction to avoid field changes and cost overruns.
- Validate: Compare accurate as-built conditions of a construction project with the as-designed model to increase quality control.
- Document: Take scans of structural and MEP (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing) systems before wall finishes are installed in order to enable easy identification and locations of elements hidden inside walls. The 3D image of what’s inside the wall can be easily measured for precision location to support ongoing maintenance and renovation.
- Collaborate: Share scan images and interact with dimensionally accurate virtual environments online using standard web browsers on a computer or tablet. Scan data can be securely hosted on a dedicated server or in the cloud, eliminating the need to install special viewing software.
- Construct: Easily create intelligent data from point clouds to support clash detection during documentation coordination. This precision approach to construction saves time and reduces costs by ensuring assets will fit in their designated spaces before reaching the construction site.
PrecisionPoint Clients Most Often Report the Following ROI Benefits:
- Reducing costs by improving accuracy and minimizing waste and rework.
- Shortening project schedules by decreasing site disruptions.
- Improving efficiency by maintaining existing workflows using compatible mainstream CAD and BIM modeling and design solutions like AutoCAD, MicroStation, and Revit.
- Maximizing information investments by leveraging measurable data that can be used and reused throughout the facility lifecycle.